The Great Lakes Acquisition Center requested design and engineering services of Nagel Architects + Engineers to upgrade the water distribution system at the William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital. The projects goal was to meet the VHA Directive 1061, Prevention of Healthcare-Associated Legionella Disease and Scald Injury from Potable Water Distribution Systems.
The design work consisted of documenting the original 1949 Buildings 1, 5 & 6 distribution system and establishing an entirely new water system. Every part of the system was impacted, the campus water intake is now continuously monitored and all plumbing fixture will receive mixing valves to prevent scalding from the new 140⁰F hot water distribution system.
Within the 500,000 sf included in the project scope, one particular challenge was that Building 1 has remained largely untouched since 1949. Despite having received fair number of additions and small renovations throughout its history. The solution was to systematically retain the value of recent renovations while inserting the new system to create an ideal solution for Building 1.
An estimated 60,000 linear feet of pipe is masterplanned to be removed and replaced within a budget of $4,950,000, resulting in limited dead end water flows, and providing a system that puts veterans health first and foremost. Nagel Architects + Engineers is grateful to have partnered with William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital in designing holistically for the long term future of their care environment and those it serves.
Ring & DuChateau, located in Brookfield, WI, was also instrumental in designing this project.